Skip to main content

Susan Lyttek



blurb: When compelled to spend Christmas on the private island of her father’s intended bride, Jeanine must cope with pirate legends, unexpected storms, and murder. Will she and her family discover the truth about Anne Bonny’s connection to the Banet family before someone else winds up dead?
Back cover blurb:  Compelled to spend Christmas on a private island with her father’s future bride and family, Jeanine learns that Margo Banet is descended from a pirate queen.
Relatives and friends all have their reasons for attending the festivities—including the legendary treasure. But when Margo’s nephew winds up dead and a violent storm cuts them off mainland, Jeanine has to wonder if they will solve the mystery before someone else dies trying.
Book excerpt
This was an odd Christmas. At least I had my family around me.
We negotiated our way back to the house as soon as allowed. As we went around the bend closest to the front door, I saw something blue in the bushes. It seemed the wrong color for any storm debris, so I maneuvered over.
As I got closer, the blue became more obviously blue jeans. Why would someone leave a pair of pants out here? Another step and I saw shoes, sandals, below the jeans with feet in them. And on the other end, a polo shirt with arms attached. I dropped my coffee cup in the mud.
“Kids,” I panicked. “Stay back. Go get your dad.”
“Why Mom?” asked Josie.
I grimaced. “There’s a body here. I don’t think he’s alive, but I’d rather have your dad check.”
“But Mom,” Justin protested. “I could tell. You know I could. Didn’t I do it with the younger Mr. Folger last year?”
“Justin, Josie…” How did I word it so they knew I valued them, but would feel more comfortable with their dad’s objective view? “This isn’t our home. We don’t really have any say here, and I’m not sure how laws work on a private island. I’d rather your dad, as a member of the government, were the first person to come and identify the person and determine whether he’s wounded or dead.”
They mulled over what I said and agreed to do it my way. They would have done it if I laid down the “mom” card, but I liked it better if they could come to that conclusion on their own based on logic.
Jelly barked, and tried to lunge for the sandaled foot, but followed his lead when Justin and Josie took him back to the house.
I was left outside with the very still person. It looked like a man, but the face was obscured by the position of the bushes. With leaves and branches draped over his legs, I doubted his health. The situation reminded me a lot of the time in the graveyard by our home in Gentle Springs. There, too, I had to stand next to a corpse while I waited for the police to show up. Then, I didn’t know who would give me the third degree. Here, I waited on James. I guess I preferred this scenario. But the past, being over and done with, always seems easier somehow.
Why did it take James so long?
And was it my imagination, or was a new storm brewing? The wind swirled around my legs, twisting my pants close to my skin. The air felt chill and damp. It ate through everything like it was personal. I wrapped my arms around myself, trying for warmth both physical and emotional.
“What’s the problem, Neenie?”
How I loved the sound of that voice. I turned to see James walking out of the house. With him was my very bleary-eyed father. I knew Dad had tried to stay awake for Margo during the night. But I imagined James didn’t want to be the sole witness to whatever I had discovered.
I pointed to the legs in the bushes behind me. I just had no words left after all the odd things had been happening. My dream merged with the conversation I had with Margo and the letter became one with the storm. None of it made sense either individually or collectively.
James moved the bushes to the side. He bent down to look at the face connected with the rest of my discovery. “I think we now know why we couldn’t find William.”

Author bio

Susan A. J. Lyttek, author of kids’ comedy, Guzzy Goofball and the Homeschool Play from Outer Space and the cozy mystery trilogy (soon to be a quartet!) by Harbourlight Books which includes Plundered Christmas, is a wife and the mother of two homeschool graduates who writes early mornings in the shadow of our nation’s capital. She also enjoys training up the next generation of writers by teaching middle and high school co-op classes. Learn more about her and her projects at sajlyttek.com.


Author bio Susan A. J. Lyttek, author of kids’ comedy, Guzzy Goofball and the Homeschool Play from Outer Space and the cozy mystery trilogy (soon to be a quartet!) by Harbourlight Books which includes Plundered Christmas, is a wife and the mother of two homeschool graduates who writes early mornings in the shadow of our nation’s capital. She also enjoys training up the next generation of writers by teaching middle and high school co-op classes. Learn more about her and her projects at sajlyttek.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Falling Forever by Katherine Robles

  Blurb Hillary is stifled by an entry level IT job in the Virginia suburbs and longs to move to Washington D.C. where she can make a difference in the world. When Javier comes to her rescue in Great Falls National Park, Hillary likes everything about him except for the gorgeous fiance hanging on his arm. But things are not as they seem and he enlists her help to renovate a homeless shelter. Romance blossoms over paintbrushes and pipes until a career launching opportunity arises. Hillary can chase her dreams, but they might cost her Javier’s heart.       Excerpt Javier cast a shadow over her placemat as he delivered her glass of water. He rounded the table, apparently unaware that the whole family was watching him with interest. When he got to the other side of Mom, Hillary willed him to make eye contact and gave a little wave in greeting. “Hi,” she said. Javier retracted the hand that was lowering Coryn’s water. His lips parted like a curtain to reveal his pearly whites. “Well, if it

Author interview - Nicola Beaumont

Today we have author Nicola Beaumont with us. Nicola has written several books including The Lighthouse which I am spotlighting today. BLURB: DANGEROUS LIAISON... Rachel is in love with her best friend, but when Malachi doesn't seem interested, she turns to an international stranger whom she meets on the internet. At first, conversation is just a pastime, but soon, romantic fantasies form in her mind. Why not consider a man who travels across an ocean to meet her-a man who makes her feel wanted? After all, Malachi might as well be a world away-even if his concern does seem genuine when he warns her about the intriguing Frenchman. RESCUE ON THE WAY... Malachi has sworn not to interfere in Rachel's relationship, but he's in love with the head-strong woman who is determined to continue her budding romance...Yet, Malachi senses something isn't right about the playboy who has suddenly consumed Rachel's time, so he vows to save her from the stranger-and herself-even

Wooing Gertrude by Jodie Wolfe

  Blurb   Enoch Valentine has given up finding peace for his past mistakes. He throws everything he has into being the new part-time deputy in Burrton Springs, Kansas while maintaining the foreman position at a local horse ranch. But when trouble stirs on the ranch, he questions whether he's the right man for either job. Peace has been elusive for most of Gertrude Miller's life, especially under the oppressiveness of an overbearing mother. She takes matters into her own hands and sends for a potential husband, while also opening her own dress shop. Gertrude hopes to build a future where she'll find peace and happiness. Will either of them ever be able to find peace?   First Page Peek   Burrton Springs, Kansas August 4, 1877   Gertrude Miller’s life couldn’t get any better. She grinned, patting her pocket. Her fingers traced the two skeleton keys. After months of planning and preparing she finally had moved into her own place a week ago, away from the overbearing reach of he