Skip to main content

advent day 8 - Beth Cato

Today's guest is Beth Cato.

Baking is a very dangerous hobby, especially when you're a writer working from home. During those quiet moments when revisions aren't quite coming together, those cookies in the kitchen begin to talk. "Eat me and you'll feel better," they say, their tone as seductive as the snake speaking to Eve.

This recipe creates Heath cookies, and they don't whisper. They scream to be eaten and enjoyed, and even at Christmastime they can be heard above the fray. Consider yourself warned. Don't be home alone with them or by January you'll be carrying some extra padding to keep you warm.

Heath toffee bar cookies 1

Heath Cookies

2 ½ cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened

¾ cup white sugar

¾ cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups Heath or other toffee brand, in pieces (either a bag of chips or approx 11 ounces chopped candy bars)

Optional: add more chopped milk chocolate

1. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.

2. Cream butter until fluffy, then add the sugars and continue beating until it’s fluffy again. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Take turns adding the Heath bits and flour to sugar mixture until it’s all well blended. Chill the dough for an hour.

4. Preheat the oven to 350-degrees. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and set on the cookie sheet.

5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Remove from oven and let cool for several minutes before transferring them to a wire rack.

Beth Cato is a writer of fantasy, science fiction, poetry, and essays. She bakes evil, naughty cookies that destroy diets and cause much weeping and gnashing of teeth when it's time to step on the scale. You can read more of her writing (and find the occasional recipe) at bethcato.com

Comments

Dora Hiers said…
Oh yummy! I love anything with toffee. Just might have to spring these cookies on my family this year. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Beth. Merry Christmas!
Laura Briggs said…
Those look sooo good! Even though I had cookies last night (about three of them, LOL) I'm seriously tempted to make these. I'll keep the recipe on hand--they seem like the perfect Christmas treat.
LoRee Peery said…
My tummy growled when I read the recipe. Good to see you here, Beth.
Beth C. said…
Dora, Laura, LoRee:
Thanks for the wonderful welcome! I'm glad to be here sharing one of my favorite recipes.

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Author - Delia Latham.

As part of her blog tour today we welcome author Delia Latham. To the commentators of any of the stops on her tour she is offering two (2) $10 gift certificates to White Rose Publishing which will be awarded after the tour. Winners will be drawn from all the comments left at all of the blogs during the 3-week event. The drawing takes place on June 1st. As an added bonus anyone who comments today/on this entry will be entered in a draw to receive a copy of Grace for the Moment by Max Lucado. Down the page is a little about her recent release from White Rose Publishing - Yesterdays Promise . The link will take you straight to it :) Now - an interview :) First off, could you tell us a little about yourself and how long you've been writing. Do you write everyday? How does each session start? How do you proceed? How, where and why does it end? I’m a born-and-bred California girl, recently transplanted to Oklahoma when my husband was medically retired and needed to move out of the area ...

A Stalker To Die For by Katy Eeten

  A Stalker to Die For by Katy Eeten I began writing this book at least ten years ago. But as often happens, I hit a writing roadblock and put the manuscript to the side. At the time, I wasn’t sure how to make the plot more intriguing or how to give the story a satisfying conclusion. Instead, I focused my efforts on writing five different contemporary Christian novels and novellas over the past several years. But something kept drawing me back to this storyline, so I knew I had to finish it. A Stalker to Die For was my first attempt at adding suspense into the mix—and it was easier said than done! But I finally completed it. And thanks to a great editor, this book guides readers through a variety of emotions while walking the line between romance, faith, and a suspenseful thrill or two. See for yourself! Trailer:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8agLq6kpUY Amazon link:   https://www.amazon.com/Stalker-Die-Katy-Eeten-ebook/dp/B0GS7ND8LC/ Social Media Links: Facebook:...

Rhonda Parrish Interview

Today’s and tomorrow's guest is Rhonda Parrish, author of Sister Margaret. Today I'm putting her under the spotlight and interrogating her, uh asking her questions. Tomorrow I turn the blog over to her completely. Review of Sister Margaret. Sister Margaret is a short story about a vampire hunter and a half-incubus swordsman who are hired by a priestess to take care of an undead pimp. It’s written from the POV of Michael, who has never forgiven himself for abandoning his friend when they were younger. Determined to use this mission to put things right and make it up to her, Michael sets off, only to find things aren’t what they appeared to be. The book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. It was fast paced from the start and its twists and turns make for gripping reading. The descriptions meant I had vivid images in my mind throughout the book. At just over 4000 words, Rhonda wastes none of them, throwing you straight into the story and leaving you breathless at the en...