Skip to main content

Advent day 7 pt 1 - Donna B Snow

CHRISTMAS ANGEL

By Donna B. Snow

Lisa rubbed a hand over the hood on Giselle’s snowsuit, tucking her closer as they rocked. The little snorts and snuffles coming from the baby, a balm to Lisa’s frayed nerves.

After a warm bottle from a boiling pan of water on the gas grill, Giselle was finally ready to settle down for the night. Lisa hugged her close then stood to carry the baby to her room.

She shivered when the blanket fell off her shoulders as she stood. She would put on another sweatshirt as soon as Giselle was tucked in.

A candle flickered in the baby’s room casting enough light to lay her in the crib and cover her with the sheepskin blanket and the warm quilt on top of that. Thank God she was too small to roll over yet.

Lisa checked that the hat was still snug on the baby’s head just in case the hood somehow came loose then she stepped out into the hallway, glancing back once more. Oh Lord, please keep her safe and warm through the night. I’m sorry if I’m being selfish Lord, but I pray that you’ll bring power back on for us soon. Lord, I can’t do this much longer. I’m so tired.

A glance at the thermostat showed that it had gotten a little cooler in the house. Fifty four degrees. That wasn’t so bad when you were moving around, but it was pretty cold when you were sitting still.

Unzipping her sweatshirt, Lisa pulled a thermal shirt on then put the sweatshirt back on and crawled under her blankets. She shivered. The cold bed slowly warmed around her and Lisa dozed, worried that tomorrow would bring more of the same. Her mind drifted as she relaxed. Shawn’s shift would be over tonight. He could start the generator later if they were still out of power.

Waking with a start, Lisa lifted her head from under the blankets. Her nose was still cold, even under the covers. She looked around the dark room, wondering what woke her. She listened intently. Not a peep from the baby, not a sound. Hopefully Giselle would sleep through the night. I should check on her.

Exhaustion pulled Lisa back down into sleep before she could motivate herself to get out from under the warm blankets.

Sometime later Lisa snuggled into the warm body surrounding her, the brightness in the room slowly bringing her awake. “Mmmm. What time did you get home?” she mumbled as Shawn’s arms tightened around her.

“A while ago.”

“Oh my gosh,” she gasped as she tried to get up, his arms holding her still. “Let go, I have to go check on Giselle—”

“Shhh. She’s fine.” He pulled her closer, nuzzling behind her ear. “I gave her a bottle, got her out of the snow suit, changed her and got her back into bed.”

“Out of the snow suit?” she asked as she struggled harder to get up. “She’ll freeze.”

“She’s fine,” he said as he pulled her back down. “Power came back on just after I came in. I was about to go out and start the generator after I walked into this ice box. Why didn’t you call me? How long’s the power been out?”

Lisa turned over to face him. “A couple nights. I didn’t want to bother you. I know you’re taking care of other emergencies. We were OK.”

“A couple nights?”

“I know lots of other people are without power, too.” She shrugged. “I’m sure you had your hands full with people who needed you more than us. We could get by.”

Shawn sighed and rubbed his knuckles along her cheek, staring into her eyes. “God made us a family, and I take care of my family. That’s my first priority. I would have come home and started the generator. None of the guys would have minded. If a call came in and they had to roll without me, I would have met up with them. But if anything happened to you, I would never forgive myself.”

“I’m sorry.” Colored lights blinked dimly through the doorway as Lisa rolled into Shawn’s arms. She smiled and ran her fingers over his frowning mouth. “You plugged in the tree. I tried to put the angel on top this afternoon while it was still light, but I couldn’t reach. But who needs an angel on the tree when I have one right here beside me?” Her lips whispered over his before she settled into his arms. “Merry Christmas, love.”

Bio:

I turned 50 this year and although I've stopped counting, my husband hasn't. LOL I've been happily married for almost 20 years and hope for many more. I am the mother of one teenage daughter who is an absolute joy and I can only hope it will stay that way.

I have two passions - music and writing, and God has blessed me in both. What a joy it is to be able to use the gifts He's given me to honor and glorify Him in word and song. I'd love to have you follow me on this journey as I share the words He gives to me.


-----

Don't forget to check out the holiday extravaganza at http://www.pelicanbookgroup.com. Either a new book or special offer every day til Christmas

http://www.pelicanbookgroup.com/ec/extravaganza-bundle

http://www.pelicanbookgroup.com/ec/holiday-specials


Comments

Dora Hiers said…
What a sweet excerpt, Donna. Congrats on the release of CHRISTMAS ANGEL! Hope you enjoy a Son-filled, merry Christmas, Donna.

Thanks for sharing both of these Christmas stories, Clare. I'm enjoying your advent posts.
LoRee Peery said…
Christmas Angel sounds like a really good read. I've decided that all I'm going to do between Christmas and New Year's is read!
Laura Briggs said…
Such a lovely excerpt--thank you for sharing this, Donna! All of these Christmas books look so good, my reading list just keeps growing :)
Donna B said…
Glad you all enjoyed it! God bless!
Delia Latham said…
Loved the excerpt! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Falling Forever by Katherine Robles

  Blurb Hillary is stifled by an entry level IT job in the Virginia suburbs and longs to move to Washington D.C. where she can make a difference in the world. When Javier comes to her rescue in Great Falls National Park, Hillary likes everything about him except for the gorgeous fiance hanging on his arm. But things are not as they seem and he enlists her help to renovate a homeless shelter. Romance blossoms over paintbrushes and pipes until a career launching opportunity arises. Hillary can chase her dreams, but they might cost her Javier’s heart.       Excerpt Javier cast a shadow over her placemat as he delivered her glass of water. He rounded the table, apparently unaware that the whole family was watching him with interest. When he got to the other side of Mom, Hillary willed him to make eye contact and gave a little wave in greeting. “Hi,” she said. Javier retracted the hand that was lowering Coryn’s water. His lips parted like a curtain to reveal his pearly whites. “Well, if it

Author interview - Nicola Beaumont

Today we have author Nicola Beaumont with us. Nicola has written several books including The Lighthouse which I am spotlighting today. BLURB: DANGEROUS LIAISON... Rachel is in love with her best friend, but when Malachi doesn't seem interested, she turns to an international stranger whom she meets on the internet. At first, conversation is just a pastime, but soon, romantic fantasies form in her mind. Why not consider a man who travels across an ocean to meet her-a man who makes her feel wanted? After all, Malachi might as well be a world away-even if his concern does seem genuine when he warns her about the intriguing Frenchman. RESCUE ON THE WAY... Malachi has sworn not to interfere in Rachel's relationship, but he's in love with the head-strong woman who is determined to continue her budding romance...Yet, Malachi senses something isn't right about the playboy who has suddenly consumed Rachel's time, so he vows to save her from the stranger-and herself-even

Wooing Gertrude by Jodie Wolfe

  Blurb   Enoch Valentine has given up finding peace for his past mistakes. He throws everything he has into being the new part-time deputy in Burrton Springs, Kansas while maintaining the foreman position at a local horse ranch. But when trouble stirs on the ranch, he questions whether he's the right man for either job. Peace has been elusive for most of Gertrude Miller's life, especially under the oppressiveness of an overbearing mother. She takes matters into her own hands and sends for a potential husband, while also opening her own dress shop. Gertrude hopes to build a future where she'll find peace and happiness. Will either of them ever be able to find peace?   First Page Peek   Burrton Springs, Kansas August 4, 1877   Gertrude Miller’s life couldn’t get any better. She grinned, patting her pocket. Her fingers traced the two skeleton keys. After months of planning and preparing she finally had moved into her own place a week ago, away from the overbearing reach of he