Skip to main content

Advent day 11 - LoRee Peery

Rural Nebraska Christmas Memories by LoRee Perry
As the oldest of seven children, my Christmas memories are crowded, and raucous. One year stands out as uniquely quiet. I was snowed in with my neighbor friend, Cheryl Backhuus, we were down with measles. We spent quiet times together mostly talking or playing board games that were easy on the eyes.

I imagined the town kids going through the Sunday school program at church, without us country kids. I pictured them all lined up in the basement of the old Grace Lutheran Church . The youngest ascended first, the eighth-graders bringing up the rear. They would enter singing “Oh Come All Ye Faithful.” I remember those nights as magical times of music, while we celebrated the birth of the Baby Jesus. The service would then end when Pastor Carl Pullman, an Irish tenor sang, “Oh Holy Night.”

All of a sudden, during a game of Chinese checkers in Cheryl’s living room, we heard the loud stamping of boots on the porch.

Cheryl’s dad, Orville, bounded through the door with his arms full of gifts for me! He spilled a yarn that Santa had dropped them off in his helicopter. Actually, my dad had trekked a half mile over packed snow drifts in a sub-zero windchill to bring them to me. Cheryl and I were too smart for our dads—we had heard no helicopter.
I have wonderful childhood memories of the farm, that country school, and my home church. We were snowed in a lot and loved it. Could be a Christmas program or two at the school was postponed because of snow.

The Grace Lutheran building of my childhood was a postcard picture of a little white steepled church. It gave way to an A-frame where I sang a solo on dedication day.
Blessings to you as you build Christmas memories for those you love.

Bio:
A lifelong Nebraskan, LoRee Peery has lived most of her life in the country, where she feels grounded in her sense of place. She learned to read when she was four and has devoured books since. She values one-on-one time with her grandchildren and loves time spent with other writers.
LoRee clings to the word overcomer and the knowledge she has victory in Jesus. When she considers being set apart as a child of God, she is humbled. She feels closest to the Lord when she worships through singing. And one thing she’s sure of: “Jesus loves me, this I know. And He will never let me go.”

visit LoRee

Don't forget to check out the holiday extravaganza at http://www.pelicanbookgroup.com. Either a new book or special offer every day til Christmas.
http://www.pelicanbookgroup.com/ec/extravaganza-bundle
http://www.pelicanbookgroup.com/ec/holiday-specials

Comments

Anonymous said…
Christmas memories are the very best! Wonderful post, LoRee!
LoRee Peery said…
Thanks for letting me share a piece of my childhood, Clare. Christmas is a sparkling time of anticipation for children, be they three or ninety-three.
Donna B said…
Such special memories - thanks for sharing, and have a wonderful Christmas!
Tanya Hanson said…
Beautiful memories! I loved this post. Where in Nebraska? I went to college in Seward, and close friends live i Platte Center...
LoRee Peery said…
Donna, I wish you a wonderful Christmas as well.
Tanya, Neligh (famous for historic Neligh Mills)is between Norfolk and O'Neill. One of my best friends lived in Platte Center before her hubby graduated college. Small world sometimes, eh?
Laura Briggs said…
Wow--what a sweet memory! Thanks for sharing, LoRee, and Merry Christmas!
LoRee Peery said…
Merry Christmas to you as well, Laura. Mom made it a lot of fun to be snowed in, except for those childhood diseases I suffered through.

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Author - Delia Latham.

As part of her blog tour today we welcome author Delia Latham. To the commentators of any of the stops on her tour she is offering two (2) $10 gift certificates to White Rose Publishing which will be awarded after the tour. Winners will be drawn from all the comments left at all of the blogs during the 3-week event. The drawing takes place on June 1st. As an added bonus anyone who comments today/on this entry will be entered in a draw to receive a copy of Grace for the Moment by Max Lucado. Down the page is a little about her recent release from White Rose Publishing - Yesterdays Promise . The link will take you straight to it :) Now - an interview :) First off, could you tell us a little about yourself and how long you've been writing. Do you write everyday? How does each session start? How do you proceed? How, where and why does it end? I’m a born-and-bred California girl, recently transplanted to Oklahoma when my husband was medically retired and needed to move out of the area ...

A Stalker To Die For by Katy Eeten

  A Stalker to Die For by Katy Eeten I began writing this book at least ten years ago. But as often happens, I hit a writing roadblock and put the manuscript to the side. At the time, I wasn’t sure how to make the plot more intriguing or how to give the story a satisfying conclusion. Instead, I focused my efforts on writing five different contemporary Christian novels and novellas over the past several years. But something kept drawing me back to this storyline, so I knew I had to finish it. A Stalker to Die For was my first attempt at adding suspense into the mix—and it was easier said than done! But I finally completed it. And thanks to a great editor, this book guides readers through a variety of emotions while walking the line between romance, faith, and a suspenseful thrill or two. See for yourself! Trailer:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8agLq6kpUY Amazon link:   https://www.amazon.com/Stalker-Die-Katy-Eeten-ebook/dp/B0GS7ND8LC/ Social Media Links: Facebook:...

Rhonda Parrish Interview

Today’s and tomorrow's guest is Rhonda Parrish, author of Sister Margaret. Today I'm putting her under the spotlight and interrogating her, uh asking her questions. Tomorrow I turn the blog over to her completely. Review of Sister Margaret. Sister Margaret is a short story about a vampire hunter and a half-incubus swordsman who are hired by a priestess to take care of an undead pimp. It’s written from the POV of Michael, who has never forgiven himself for abandoning his friend when they were younger. Determined to use this mission to put things right and make it up to her, Michael sets off, only to find things aren’t what they appeared to be. The book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. It was fast paced from the start and its twists and turns make for gripping reading. The descriptions meant I had vivid images in my mind throughout the book. At just over 4000 words, Rhonda wastes none of them, throwing you straight into the story and leaving you breathless at the en...