Skip to main content

Advent day 3 - Carol Ann Erhardt

The Unexpected Christmas Bonus

by Carol Ann Erhardt

"I'm getting a Christmas bonus this year, hon," I told my husband.

"Really? That's great. Maybe we can get that new refrigerator now."

We'd been nursing along our ancient side-by-side for the past two years, but other more pressing things drained our funds. Earlier in the year, hubby had to remove the handle on the refrigerator door and mount it a little lower because the screws had become stripped. Looking straight at the unit would make you laugh, because the freezer handle was about four inches higher. A new appliance would be welcomed. But, the unit was still functional. Maybe it would be best if we waited until it clunked out. If it held up for a couple more months, we might draw a little interest on the money by putting it in our practically non-existent savings account.

We headed out that weekend to look at refrigerators. Crowds were already heavy…everyone out shopping for Christmas. Red bows, music, brightly decorated trees adorned even the appliance stores. Prices were really high, much higher than I’d anticipated. Purchasing a new one would take all my unexpected Christmas bonus plus the remaining funds in our account. What if we had an unexpected emergency? A new refrigerator wouldn’t help pay bills. And, there had been something else on my mind lately, too.

The next morning I woke early to get ready for church. I had made a decision on what I wanted to do with the money, and I hoped my hubby would understand.

"Honey, I've been thinking."

He looked at me with raised eyebrows. "Really?” He grinned.

"I kind of like the look of the refrigerator with the offset handles. And it does work."

His grin lifted higher. "And..." he prompted.

"And our kids are struggling this year, too. I’ve been remembering how hard it was to pay the bills and provide a few presents for our kids on Christmas. I think we should divide the Christmas bonus and give it to the children to help with their expenses."

He grinned. "Okay."

"So you agree?"

He hugged me. "Of course I agree. That's why I married you. You have such a big heart. Now hurry up and get dressed so we're not late for church."

That year was one of our best Christmases ever, and that old side-by-side? It continued to function for another two years until we could afford to replace it.

Bio:

Inspirational romance writer, Carol Ann Erhardt, touches the hearts and emotions of her readers. Fans categorize her books as emotional, suspenseful and inspirational.

She gives the glory to God. Carol Ann lives in Columbus, Ohio, with her husband and three cats. She divides her time between volunteering at her church, being a caregiver for her hubby, caring for twelve feral cats, enjoying time with her eight children and their families, and writing. She is the newsletter editor for Central Ohio Fiction Writers, and a member of Romance Writers of America, Kiss of Death, and American Christian Fiction Writers. Learn more about Carol Ann by visiting her website at www.CarolAnnErhardt.com.

And don't forget to check out the holiday extravaganza. Either a new book or a special offer each day up til Christmas.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very sweet story...and sounds so familiar! lol We never stop trying to take care of our kids, do we...no matter how old they are! :D
Carol Ann said…
That's so true, Delia. They are always are babies and we hurt when they do! Thanks for stopping by today.
Dora Hiers said…
Great memory, Carol Ann. It's the cycle of life, isn't it? But as my 96-year-old grandfather will testify, one day those kids/grandkids that you've loved and nurtured will be taking care of you. Glad you finally got your fridge!

Clare, I'm enjoying your Advent posts. Great idea.
Tanya Hanson said…
Love the post, Carol Ann. My kids are the light of my heart so I totally understand. Clare, thanks for this wonderful advent calendar!
LoRee Peery said…
Lovely -- reminds me of how I so wanted a side by side. When we got it, it didn't fit where I wanted it and it has less room inside. Too bad I didn't have something to give away instead.
Donna B said…
It's so amazing how we are blessed by the blessings that we share - and not to be redundant, but God bless you all!
Carol Ann said…
So sorry I've been away from the computer today. Thank you so much Tanya, LoRee, Dora, and Donna B for stopping by and a great big thank you to Claire for hosting me here today! I've been busy with my church group crocheting prayer shawls and chemo caps. So much joy in being together and working together to help others through troubled times and to bless Jesus!
Marianne Evans said…
Parenthood never ends - and it's the most wonderful grace from God I can possibly imagine. Great post, Carol - and wonderful reminder of what's most important in life!! Blessings~
Carol Ann said…
Glad you stopped by, Marianne, and so happy that people can relate to my post today.
Clare Revell said…
It was a pleasure to host you Carol Ann.
Thanks for all the comments :)

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Author - Delia Latham.

As part of her blog tour today we welcome author Delia Latham. To the commentators of any of the stops on her tour she is offering two (2) $10 gift certificates to White Rose Publishing which will be awarded after the tour. Winners will be drawn from all the comments left at all of the blogs during the 3-week event. The drawing takes place on June 1st. As an added bonus anyone who comments today/on this entry will be entered in a draw to receive a copy of Grace for the Moment by Max Lucado. Down the page is a little about her recent release from White Rose Publishing - Yesterdays Promise . The link will take you straight to it :) Now - an interview :) First off, could you tell us a little about yourself and how long you've been writing. Do you write everyday? How does each session start? How do you proceed? How, where and why does it end? I’m a born-and-bred California girl, recently transplanted to Oklahoma when my husband was medically retired and needed to move out of the area ...

A Stalker To Die For by Katy Eeten

  A Stalker to Die For by Katy Eeten I began writing this book at least ten years ago. But as often happens, I hit a writing roadblock and put the manuscript to the side. At the time, I wasn’t sure how to make the plot more intriguing or how to give the story a satisfying conclusion. Instead, I focused my efforts on writing five different contemporary Christian novels and novellas over the past several years. But something kept drawing me back to this storyline, so I knew I had to finish it. A Stalker to Die For was my first attempt at adding suspense into the mix—and it was easier said than done! But I finally completed it. And thanks to a great editor, this book guides readers through a variety of emotions while walking the line between romance, faith, and a suspenseful thrill or two. See for yourself! Trailer:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8agLq6kpUY Amazon link:   https://www.amazon.com/Stalker-Die-Katy-Eeten-ebook/dp/B0GS7ND8LC/ Social Media Links: Facebook:...

Rhonda Parrish Interview

Today’s and tomorrow's guest is Rhonda Parrish, author of Sister Margaret. Today I'm putting her under the spotlight and interrogating her, uh asking her questions. Tomorrow I turn the blog over to her completely. Review of Sister Margaret. Sister Margaret is a short story about a vampire hunter and a half-incubus swordsman who are hired by a priestess to take care of an undead pimp. It’s written from the POV of Michael, who has never forgiven himself for abandoning his friend when they were younger. Determined to use this mission to put things right and make it up to her, Michael sets off, only to find things aren’t what they appeared to be. The book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. It was fast paced from the start and its twists and turns make for gripping reading. The descriptions meant I had vivid images in my mind throughout the book. At just over 4000 words, Rhonda wastes none of them, throwing you straight into the story and leaving you breathless at the en...