Skip to main content

Advent Day 1 - Barbara Early

Today we welcome PBG author Barbara Early. Her book releases today


Blurb:
High school geometry teacher, Donna Russell likes her life well-ordered and logical, even if it is a tad solitary at times. But when a charming co-worker at the local food bank disappears just before Christmas, Donna is left with more questions than solutions.
After the missing man's neighbor, muscle-bound EMT Sam Holton, volunteers as Donna's crime-fighting sidekick, sparks fly between them. Donna wonders if Sam can be trusted, or if he's trying to throw an unknown into her calculations—and her life.
And when police recover a body from the icy Niagara River, Donna is faced with the most frustrating equation of all: can murder plus mayhem ever equal romance?

Links:




Excerpt:
Food pantries are lousy places to meet men.
I slammed another dusty can of sauerkraut into the rough wood shelving to punctuate that thought, enjoying the reverberation through the brick storefront. Don’t get me wrong. That’s not why I volunteered. My days of pining after some testosterone-charged he-god passed a decade or so ago when all my friends married and started having kids. I’d officially become “Aunt Donna,” and I was pretty okay with that.
Most of the time.
I had my friends, my students, and my cat. Only my friends were all busy chauffeuring their kids to basketball practice and dance recitals, my students at the high school drove me up the wall, and my black cat was one of those independent sorts, content stalking birds from the window. He rubbed against my leg twice a day when I filled his food dish, and that was pretty much the extent of my physical contact with other living things.

Review:
Wonderfully written with a nice mix of thrills, chills and laughs, Gold, Frankinsense and Murder is a lovely short story to curl up with on a winter's night. I loved the scene with the cat attacking the tree - something my cat did reguarly - and the sleuthing Donna reminded me of Miss Marple. It's 83 pages are jam packed with vivid descriptions and action that keep you turning pages.

Comments

Dora Hiers said…
Great title! Love the excerpt. Gold, Frankinsense and Murder sounds like an awesome read. Congrats, Barbara, and best wishes!
Barbara Early said…
Thank you, Clare for hosting the advent calendar--and for the kind review!

And thanks, Dora. I'm fond of the title too. It beats the original title, which was "Canned Pears in Heavy Syrup." LOL.
Donna B said…
I love it! And what a great sense of humor comes through the writing!
Debra E. Marvin said…
Hooray! Barb's book is great. Thrills, chills (that's Buffalo for you...) and laughter.

Loved this book!
Barbara Early said…
Thanks, Donna and Deb--

I'm ecstatic and flattered that you liked it. :)

And after having an unseasonably warm November, it finally snowed here. So we're getting those chills.
Mary Manners said…
Barbara,

I'm so glad to see you here and to get to know you better. I love the title of your holiday book! Can't wait to read it.

God bless you this holiday season.
Barbara Early said…
Thanks, Mary. I hope you enjoy it! And a very Merry Christmas to you.
Marianne Evans said…
What a tantalizing excerpt!!! Can't wait to read it!! Congrats, Barb!
Barbara Early said…
Thanks, Marianne! I'm glad you liked the excerpt. I love writing in first person because I can really get into the character's head. Hope you enjoy it!
Tanya Stowe said…
Barbara, love the title! I've been looking forward to reading this! Sounds great!
Clare Revell said…
Thanks for all the comments ladies :) And as for the original title "Canned pears in heavy syrup" ... could always make it the sequel lol
Robin Bayne said…
Sounds so great!!
Barbara Early said…
Tanya and Robin--

Thanks so much!

And Clare, you're the second person to mention a sequel today. Hmmm.
Laura Briggs said…
Love the sound of this one--and the title and cover are adorable! There's nothing like curling up with a good mystery by a cozy fire :)
Barbara Early said…
Thanks, Laura--

Nicola did the cover, and I cried when I first saw it. I loved it. The cat, Soot, in the story was a cat of ours who is no longer with us. Now he's memorialized forever. And yes, he could easily dismantle a Christmas tree. :)
LoRee Peery said…
Sweet review, and I want to read it.
I enjoyed reading all about it.

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Author - Delia Latham.

As part of her blog tour today we welcome author Delia Latham. To the commentators of any of the stops on her tour she is offering two (2) $10 gift certificates to White Rose Publishing which will be awarded after the tour. Winners will be drawn from all the comments left at all of the blogs during the 3-week event. The drawing takes place on June 1st. As an added bonus anyone who comments today/on this entry will be entered in a draw to receive a copy of Grace for the Moment by Max Lucado. Down the page is a little about her recent release from White Rose Publishing - Yesterdays Promise . The link will take you straight to it :) Now - an interview :) First off, could you tell us a little about yourself and how long you've been writing. Do you write everyday? How does each session start? How do you proceed? How, where and why does it end? I’m a born-and-bred California girl, recently transplanted to Oklahoma when my husband was medically retired and needed to move out of the area ...

A Stalker To Die For by Katy Eeten

  A Stalker to Die For by Katy Eeten I began writing this book at least ten years ago. But as often happens, I hit a writing roadblock and put the manuscript to the side. At the time, I wasn’t sure how to make the plot more intriguing or how to give the story a satisfying conclusion. Instead, I focused my efforts on writing five different contemporary Christian novels and novellas over the past several years. But something kept drawing me back to this storyline, so I knew I had to finish it. A Stalker to Die For was my first attempt at adding suspense into the mix—and it was easier said than done! But I finally completed it. And thanks to a great editor, this book guides readers through a variety of emotions while walking the line between romance, faith, and a suspenseful thrill or two. See for yourself! Trailer:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8agLq6kpUY Amazon link:   https://www.amazon.com/Stalker-Die-Katy-Eeten-ebook/dp/B0GS7ND8LC/ Social Media Links: Facebook:...

Rhonda Parrish Interview

Today’s and tomorrow's guest is Rhonda Parrish, author of Sister Margaret. Today I'm putting her under the spotlight and interrogating her, uh asking her questions. Tomorrow I turn the blog over to her completely. Review of Sister Margaret. Sister Margaret is a short story about a vampire hunter and a half-incubus swordsman who are hired by a priestess to take care of an undead pimp. It’s written from the POV of Michael, who has never forgiven himself for abandoning his friend when they were younger. Determined to use this mission to put things right and make it up to her, Michael sets off, only to find things aren’t what they appeared to be. The book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. It was fast paced from the start and its twists and turns make for gripping reading. The descriptions meant I had vivid images in my mind throughout the book. At just over 4000 words, Rhonda wastes none of them, throwing you straight into the story and leaving you breathless at the en...