Skip to main content

Advent calender - Day 5

Homeless

The Christmas lights hang brightly from the lamp posts. The tinsel adorns shop windows are filled with trees and more lights. Music blares from all the shops. People hustle and bustle, busy busy busy with lists to cross off and bags to fill. Cards to post and presents to buy. Food to cook and cakes to make. People to see and family to spend time with. Brightly decorated homes to go back to, central heating, lights, running water. A home.

He sits there, silent and invisible to everyone, his clothes torn and full of holes. By his feet is the plastic bag filled with all he owns. Down on his luck through no fault of his own he has no home other than the doorway in which he sits. His bed a bench in the park in the summer and a doorway or box in the winter.

I see the lights and hear the music but they mean nothing to me. They are just memories of a time long ago when I had a family and friends to be with. I watch as the people walk past me and hear snatches of conversation. They think I’m a druggie, a down and out. They don’t know the first thing about me, what got me to this state I am in now.

A family go past, the littlest girl stares at me and I hear her ask her father for some money to give me. He says no, it’ll only go on drink or drugs and drag her away. I look down, pulling myself tighter against the cold. I close my eyes.

“Here,” a voice says. The face smiles as the man in the doorway opens his eyes. “I got you this.” She holds out a coffee and a burger. “I put sugar in it, I hope that’s okay.” She smiles again as the eyes of the man glisten and he holds out shaking hands and says thank you. Then she gets up and runs off back to join her family.

He drinks the coffee and it’s the finest champagne he’s ever had and the burger the most exquisite caviar. For now the fact he is homeless doesn’t matter. Someone cared.

Comments

Laura Briggs said…
Lovely! Thank you for sharing this.
Delia Latham said…
Hmmm...this could be my favorite one yet. This is wonderful, Clare!
Donna B said…
This one brought tears to my eyes. A real piece of Christmas...

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Author - Delia Latham.

As part of her blog tour today we welcome author Delia Latham. To the commentators of any of the stops on her tour she is offering two (2) $10 gift certificates to White Rose Publishing which will be awarded after the tour. Winners will be drawn from all the comments left at all of the blogs during the 3-week event. The drawing takes place on June 1st. As an added bonus anyone who comments today/on this entry will be entered in a draw to receive a copy of Grace for the Moment by Max Lucado. Down the page is a little about her recent release from White Rose Publishing - Yesterdays Promise . The link will take you straight to it :) Now - an interview :) First off, could you tell us a little about yourself and how long you've been writing. Do you write everyday? How does each session start? How do you proceed? How, where and why does it end? I’m a born-and-bred California girl, recently transplanted to Oklahoma when my husband was medically retired and needed to move out of the area ...

A Stalker To Die For by Katy Eeten

  A Stalker to Die For by Katy Eeten I began writing this book at least ten years ago. But as often happens, I hit a writing roadblock and put the manuscript to the side. At the time, I wasn’t sure how to make the plot more intriguing or how to give the story a satisfying conclusion. Instead, I focused my efforts on writing five different contemporary Christian novels and novellas over the past several years. But something kept drawing me back to this storyline, so I knew I had to finish it. A Stalker to Die For was my first attempt at adding suspense into the mix—and it was easier said than done! But I finally completed it. And thanks to a great editor, this book guides readers through a variety of emotions while walking the line between romance, faith, and a suspenseful thrill or two. See for yourself! Trailer:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8agLq6kpUY Amazon link:   https://www.amazon.com/Stalker-Die-Katy-Eeten-ebook/dp/B0GS7ND8LC/ Social Media Links: Facebook:...

Rhonda Parrish Interview

Today’s and tomorrow's guest is Rhonda Parrish, author of Sister Margaret. Today I'm putting her under the spotlight and interrogating her, uh asking her questions. Tomorrow I turn the blog over to her completely. Review of Sister Margaret. Sister Margaret is a short story about a vampire hunter and a half-incubus swordsman who are hired by a priestess to take care of an undead pimp. It’s written from the POV of Michael, who has never forgiven himself for abandoning his friend when they were younger. Determined to use this mission to put things right and make it up to her, Michael sets off, only to find things aren’t what they appeared to be. The book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. It was fast paced from the start and its twists and turns make for gripping reading. The descriptions meant I had vivid images in my mind throughout the book. At just over 4000 words, Rhonda wastes none of them, throwing you straight into the story and leaving you breathless at the en...