Skip to main content

Plundered Christmas by Susan Lyttek

 



When compelled to spend Christmas on the private island of her father’s intended bride, Jeanine must cope with pirate legends, unexpected storms, and murder. Will she and her family discover the truth about Anne Bonny’s connection to the Banet family before someone else winds up dead?

Back cover blurb:  Compelled to spend Christmas on a private island with her father’s future bride and family, Jeanine learns that Margo Banet is descended from a pirate queen.

Relatives and friends all have their reasons for attending the festivities—including the legendary treasure. But when Margo’s nephew winds up dead and a violent storm cuts them off mainland, Jeanine has to wonder if they will solve the mystery before someone else dies trying.

Book excerpt

Aimee leaned into Frank. “I really think I’m going to like being a part of this family.”

My father bounced off the couch faster than I could. “Does this mean?”

Aimee shyly held out her left hand. A ring sat securely on her ring finger. An iridescent opal, sat in the center of the setting. By the deep rich glow of the stone, I could tell its quality. Surrounding the opal were a dozen or more little diamond chips making the petals of the flower.

“Oh, it’s stunning! You have great taste, brother of mine.”

He looked at Aimee instead of the ring in response to my outburst. “That I know.”

I hugged my soon-to-be sister-in-law. “Welcome to the Jensen clan, Aimee.”

She hugged me back. “Thank you.”

Josie snuggled up, not wanting to be left out. “Didn’t I tell you, Aimee? Didn’t I tell you right off the bat?”

Aimee crouched down to Josie’s level. “You are absolutely right. You told me on the boat that I would love your family. And that you would love me.” She whispered the last couple of words.

“Does that mean I call you Aunt Aimee?” Justin asked.

She smiled. “I guess so.”

“Then, Aunt Aimee, get comfortable and have a seat so we can do the rest of the Christmas Eve tradition.”

“There’s more?” She feigned surprise well. I think Frank had briefed her on our routine before they came over. But we made room on the couch, not hard because I think it could seat thirty in a pinch, and resumed the Jensen tales of the night.

Frank took up the next part, perhaps to impress his new fiancée. “The tree, as we’ve said, points to God and his changeless, eternal nature. But what was the first thing we put on the tree?”

“The lights?”

“Exactly. Because as it says in the John, ‘In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.’ The lights on the tree remind us of the true light, the light of the world, Jesus Christ.”

I liked the next part. It always gave me goose bumps, so I decided I would tell it. “Next on every tree are the ornaments. What do the ornaments represent? What makes the tree of God beautiful?”

“We do!” shouted Josie and Justin.

“Yes,” I agreed. “As it says in Zechariah, ‘The Lord their God will save his people on that day as a shepherd saves his flock. They will sparkle in his land like jewels in a crown.’ Also, it looks like fruit on the tree and reminds us to be fruitful for Him in the coming year.”

“Now,” said my father. “It is time for us to remember how our Savior came into this world.” He opened his well-worn Bible to the Gospel of Luke. “In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) And everyone went to their own town to register.’

“‘So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David.’

Dad would have kept reading. I know this, because he did every year. But at this moment, Charlie burst in. “Help! Help!” He waved to all of us. “Miss Margo is hurt! Come quickly! Down by the docks!”



 

Author bio Susan A. J. Lyttek, author of five novels (which includes Plundered Christmas), award-winning writer, blogger, wife and mother to two homeschool graduates has temporarily given up hunting a full-time job and instead spends her days tutoring over Zoom and writing the strangest tales she can. Learn more at www.sajlyttek.com

Purchase link(s) https://smile.amazon.com/Plundered-Christmas-Holiday-Extravaganza-ebook/dp/B017QL63Q0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543272068&sr=8-1&keywords=plundered+christmas

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/plundered-christmas-susan-lyttek/1120834625?ean=9781611164619

http://pelicanbookgroup.com/ec/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_38_50&products_id=630

Questions:

1.      Why this book? What inspired you to write it? I have always loved Christmas so it seemed like a good fit. But with my Talbott family stories, there needed to be a historical angle. One of my students at the time was researching female pirates and another young lady loved those stories, so they fed me a fair amount of information regarding Anne Bonny. There was enough mystery regarding her time both as a pirate and her death/disappearance that I could make it my own. Then, to give her a family line that kept the wrong secrets… Perfect!

As far as the Talbotts themselves, Jeanine is a diehard for tradition. She wants her Christmas in a certain way. So having her dad’s fiancée make them spend Christmas on a tropical island is a great way to make her uncomfortable and throw her into another mystery.

 

2. What is your favourite Christmas carol/song and why? I’ve answered this question for you before as far as my lifetime favorite. I decided this time, to think about the song that when it plays puts me fully and intently into Christmas as soon as I hear the recording. That would be O Holy Night as recorded by Nat King Cole. For all of my growing up, when my parents played that record, I knew Christmas was at hand. I still think he has one of the best voices of all time.

 

3.      What is the best Christmas present you ever received and who was it from?

I have had a lot of wonderful presents over the years. There are very few of them that I still have. One of those is my engagement ring that Gary gave to me the second Christmas we spent together.


Comments

LoRee Peery said…
I'll have to check out this story. Seems familiar, but I don't have it on my Kindle list. Nice to see you here, Susan.

Popular posts from this blog

Author interview - Nicola Beaumont

Today we have author Nicola Beaumont with us. Nicola has written several books including The Lighthouse which I am spotlighting today. BLURB: DANGEROUS LIAISON... Rachel is in love with her best friend, but when Malachi doesn't seem interested, she turns to an international stranger whom she meets on the internet. At first, conversation is just a pastime, but soon, romantic fantasies form in her mind. Why not consider a man who travels across an ocean to meet her-a man who makes her feel wanted? After all, Malachi might as well be a world away-even if his concern does seem genuine when he warns her about the intriguing Frenchman. RESCUE ON THE WAY... Malachi has sworn not to interfere in Rachel's relationship, but he's in love with the head-strong woman who is determined to continue her budding romance...Yet, Malachi senses something isn't right about the playboy who has suddenly consumed Rachel's time, so he vows to save her from the stranger-and herself-even

Wooing Gertrude by Jodie Wolfe

  Blurb   Enoch Valentine has given up finding peace for his past mistakes. He throws everything he has into being the new part-time deputy in Burrton Springs, Kansas while maintaining the foreman position at a local horse ranch. But when trouble stirs on the ranch, he questions whether he's the right man for either job. Peace has been elusive for most of Gertrude Miller's life, especially under the oppressiveness of an overbearing mother. She takes matters into her own hands and sends for a potential husband, while also opening her own dress shop. Gertrude hopes to build a future where she'll find peace and happiness. Will either of them ever be able to find peace?   First Page Peek   Burrton Springs, Kansas August 4, 1877   Gertrude Miller’s life couldn’t get any better. She grinned, patting her pocket. Her fingers traced the two skeleton keys. After months of planning and preparing she finally had moved into her own place a week ago, away from the overbearing reach of he

Falling Forever by Katherine Robles

  Blurb Hillary is stifled by an entry level IT job in the Virginia suburbs and longs to move to Washington D.C. where she can make a difference in the world. When Javier comes to her rescue in Great Falls National Park, Hillary likes everything about him except for the gorgeous fiance hanging on his arm. But things are not as they seem and he enlists her help to renovate a homeless shelter. Romance blossoms over paintbrushes and pipes until a career launching opportunity arises. Hillary can chase her dreams, but they might cost her Javier’s heart.       Excerpt Javier cast a shadow over her placemat as he delivered her glass of water. He rounded the table, apparently unaware that the whole family was watching him with interest. When he got to the other side of Mom, Hillary willed him to make eye contact and gave a little wave in greeting. “Hi,” she said. Javier retracted the hand that was lowering Coryn’s water. His lips parted like a curtain to reveal his pearly whites. “Well, if it