Skip to main content

Meet the author: Carol James

 


October 1: Meet the Author

Author Interview

What was the most surprising thing you learned about yourself as you wrote this book?

No Longer a Captive was never a story I intended to write. It deals with overcoming childhood abuse. I heard a woman speak about growing up in a home with an abusive father who is a hero to the town where they lived but a monster to his family. I felt drawn to write about this, but didn’t think I could. I had no personal experience with abuse. I grew up in a loving home. As I was sitting in church one Sunday, our pastor said the following, “Unforgiveness is a prison.” I knew then that, whether or not I felt able, I was being nudged to write a book about overcoming abuse. I might not have experienced abuse, but I knew all about forgiving and failing to forgive. The one thing I learned is that even though I felt unqualified, all God was asking of me was obedience, and He’d do the rest.

 

What was the best money you ever spent for your writing career? I have to say purchasing my 2 MacAir computers. MacAir1 died after about 10 years, so I replaced it with MacAir2. I absolutely love them! They’re small and lightweight, so I can take them everywhere with me. If MacAir2 dies in a few years, I guess I’ll get #3.The best ongoing expense I have are dues for membership to professional writing groups. The advice and information I’ve received over the years is unbelievably valuable, especially to writers who are just starting out. The information you learn and the training you receive are worth more that the money you spend on dues.

 

What does literary success look like to you? To me, literary success has little to do with the amount of money I make or the number of books I sell. It’s about the impact my books have on those who read them. After my first novel, Rescuing Faith, was released, a gentleman at church came up and hugged me. With tears in his eyes, he said, “My daughter has been going through the same issue as your heroine, and the book gave her hope. Thank you.” So, is there any amount of fame or fortune that can outweigh that? Not in my mind.

 

How could reading your readers’ reviews and comments help you? Reviews are the lifeblood of publishing and book sales. When readers take the time to read my book and write a review, I am honored to read every one. I often find them helpful in understanding what readers are looking for in books and what things I did well, and in what areas I need to improve.

 

Have you met any of your favorite authors? What was the moment like?

Oh, yes. One of my favorite authors is Karen Kingsbury. Her books showed me that Christian writers can, and should, deal with the messiness of life that our readers are living. My oldest daughter took me to one of Karen’s book signings. I stood in line wondering what to say, and hoping I wouldn’t be tongue-tied. I prayed, and when my turn came, I blurted out, “I love your writing. In fact, your work has inspired me to begin writing. But I imagine you hear that all the time.” She smiled and graciously answered, “No one has ever told me that before.” She spent the next few minutes asking me questions about my writing and my manuscripts. Then she handed me one of her business cards with a hand-written phone number on it. “Tell them Karen told you to call.” Her encouragement was instrumental in my receiving my first writing contract.

 

Is it true that being a published author is glamorous? Why or why not? As I sit in my office writing this in the middle of the night in my white fluffy bathrobe and shearling slippers, wondering when I’m going to get the dishes done or the floors mopped, my answer is, “Ha, ha, ha…no.” But I wouldn’t trade it for any other job in the world. Having the opportunity to show God’s faithful and steadfast love in the lives of his children is more exciting and rewarding than any glamorous job could ever be.

 

How does your faith affect your writing? I love writing redemptive romance. Once a man asked me how my romances differed from regular old romances. I told him mine had three main characters—a hero, a heroine, and God. Not only do my characters grow in relationship with each other, but also with God. My main purpose in writing is to communicate a characteristic of the heart of God. Earthly fathers may fail, but our heavenly one never will. Ethne must come to learn that she will never be free of the pain of her past until she is able to offer it to her Heavenly Father. I build my plot lines around at least one Bible verse and one hymn or Christian song. The two Bible verses I used as the center of this novel are: So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” John 8:36 and “And I will be your Father, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the LORD Almighty.” 2 Corinthians 6:18

 

If you could be a fictional character from literature for one day, who would you be and why? I’d be Jo from LittleWomen. I was raised in a military family, so obeying the rules and following guidelines was expected. Jo was such a creative, self-assured non-conformist. As a child, I loved that about her and wished I could be more of a rule-bender. Yes, I think I’d still choose Jo today.

 

If you were a pair shoes, what style, brand, and color would you be? I’d be a pair of black Sanuk flip-flops. They’re comfortable, waterproof, and you can dress them up or dress them down. And, black goes with any color.

 

What did you edit out of this book and why? My original manuscript included two scenes that were either deleted or majorly rewritten. One was a love scene between Ethne and Daniel. While nothing immoral happened, I felt as written, it might make some readers uncomfortable. So I cut it. The other…well, I can’t say too much or I’ll give away part of the plot. Let’s just say Ethne makes a huge assumption, that might or might not be correct. I felt her reaction to discovering this news was inconsistent with who she is, so I rewrote it in a gentler voice.

 

CarolJamesWebsite

FacebookCarolJames

InstagramCarolJamesAuth

TwitterCarolJamesAuth

GoodreadsCarolJames

BookbubCarolJames

AmazonCarolJames

Newsletter Sign-up

 

 

Book Links: Amazon: https://tinyurl.com/56pdpzmy

Pelican: https://bit.ly/3lve7NN

B&N: https://tinyurl.com/4jnj8u7p

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/no-longer-a-captive

 

BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/books/no-longer-a-captive-by-carol-james

 

GoodReads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58857487-no-longer-a-captive

 

Book Blurb:

When Ethne O’Connor's brother, Sean, tells her of father’s unexpected death, he asks her to do something she promised herself she’d never do. Come back home.

 

A victim of childhood abuse, Ethne left her father and the small Texas town of Crescent Bluff ten years ago on the night of her high school graduation. She's determined to end the cycle of abuse and believes the only way to do that is remain single. If she has no husband, she'll never have children that can be abused.

 

Then she meets Daniel Spenser, a handsome doctor with chocolate-kiss eyes. Daniel understands her past in a way no one else does. He’s lived it.

 

Will Daniel be able to help Ethne break the chains of captivity around her heart?

 

And will God release her from her past, to be free to trust the man she comes to love?

Comments

Susan Lyttek said…
Great interview! Enjoyed it.
Mary A Felkins said…
Carol, I love so much about this "getting to know you". The man who approached you at church with testimony about the impact your book had ... that's worth more than all the reviews in the world. And yes, THREE characters, heroine, hero and God. Amen! God bless No Longer Captive as it elevates our freedom in Christ from any and all forms of abuse (even the abuse of negativity or self-doubt or harsh criticism we put on ourselves)
Carol James said…
Clare, thanks so much for letting me visit your blog. And Mary and Susan, thanks for the kind comments.
LoRee Peery said…
Carol, I so enjoyed your answers to Clare's questions. There is so much I could say about abuse, maybe one day we'll meet and have that conversations. I look forward to what sounds like a healing story, and pray it impacts just the right reader(s).
GREAT interview Ladies!
I feel the same way when one of my books touches someone's life and they tell me.

Good luck and God's blessings with your new release
PamT
Carol James said…
Pam and LoRee, Thanks for your encouragement.
Unknown said…
Hi Carol, So cool that you got to meet Karen Kingsbury! Love your comment about the glamourous writing life...NOT!

Popular posts from this blog

Author interview - Nicola Beaumont

Today we have author Nicola Beaumont with us. Nicola has written several books including The Lighthouse which I am spotlighting today. BLURB: DANGEROUS LIAISON... Rachel is in love with her best friend, but when Malachi doesn't seem interested, she turns to an international stranger whom she meets on the internet. At first, conversation is just a pastime, but soon, romantic fantasies form in her mind. Why not consider a man who travels across an ocean to meet her-a man who makes her feel wanted? After all, Malachi might as well be a world away-even if his concern does seem genuine when he warns her about the intriguing Frenchman. RESCUE ON THE WAY... Malachi has sworn not to interfere in Rachel's relationship, but he's in love with the head-strong woman who is determined to continue her budding romance...Yet, Malachi senses something isn't right about the playboy who has suddenly consumed Rachel's time, so he vows to save her from the stranger-and herself-even

Wooing Gertrude by Jodie Wolfe

  Blurb   Enoch Valentine has given up finding peace for his past mistakes. He throws everything he has into being the new part-time deputy in Burrton Springs, Kansas while maintaining the foreman position at a local horse ranch. But when trouble stirs on the ranch, he questions whether he's the right man for either job. Peace has been elusive for most of Gertrude Miller's life, especially under the oppressiveness of an overbearing mother. She takes matters into her own hands and sends for a potential husband, while also opening her own dress shop. Gertrude hopes to build a future where she'll find peace and happiness. Will either of them ever be able to find peace?   First Page Peek   Burrton Springs, Kansas August 4, 1877   Gertrude Miller’s life couldn’t get any better. She grinned, patting her pocket. Her fingers traced the two skeleton keys. After months of planning and preparing she finally had moved into her own place a week ago, away from the overbearing reach of he

Falling Forever by Katherine Robles

  Blurb Hillary is stifled by an entry level IT job in the Virginia suburbs and longs to move to Washington D.C. where she can make a difference in the world. When Javier comes to her rescue in Great Falls National Park, Hillary likes everything about him except for the gorgeous fiance hanging on his arm. But things are not as they seem and he enlists her help to renovate a homeless shelter. Romance blossoms over paintbrushes and pipes until a career launching opportunity arises. Hillary can chase her dreams, but they might cost her Javier’s heart.       Excerpt Javier cast a shadow over her placemat as he delivered her glass of water. He rounded the table, apparently unaware that the whole family was watching him with interest. When he got to the other side of Mom, Hillary willed him to make eye contact and gave a little wave in greeting. “Hi,” she said. Javier retracted the hand that was lowering Coryn’s water. His lips parted like a curtain to reveal his pearly whites. “Well, if it