Skip to main content

World Blog Tour - from a small corner of the UK

This was originally going on my FB page but it's way way too long for that... And this way I can put pictures in :)

So....

1. I was tagged by friend and fellow Pelican author LoRee Peery who asked me to join her world blog.

2. I write romantic suspense - usually including cops, terrorists, people dying, serial killers, but always with a love story front and centre.

3. So now I have to tell you all a little about my writing process.

What am I working on? 
Currently that's my 12 book series. I'm currently writing book 8 - Gladioli in August. In this one the 'bad guy' is more of an erupting volcano than a maniac with a gun or a knife as in other books in the series.


Blurb well right now this is it, but it could well be changed before publication next year:
Jael Stevens ignores her brother’s warning not to go to volcanic island Tiampu—it’s got to be safer than living in Headley Cross, right? Wrong.
Micah Norris is convinced his heart is safe. He’s arrogant, conceited and no woman would ever want him, right? Wrong.

And Tiampu is an extinct volcano, right? Wrong.

Sneak peek:
“Are you mad? Is it safe?” Her older brother Kyle held out the potatoes, shock etched on his face. Considering he was one of the top hairdressers in the country, having just won an award for some hairstyling contest, his own hair was a mess. For a moment Jael wondered if that was fear flickering in his eyes.
“Is what safe, Kyle?” she asked.
“A volcanic island?”
Jael laughed. “Besides it’s gotta be a darn sight safer there than it is here.” She glanced around the dinner table. “I mean there was that explosion at the Riverside where fifteen people died, the bank raid last week. Oh and don’t forget the prime minister was assassinated here. You and Holly went to Sicily last year and Etna is constantly erupting. Tiampu hasn’t erupted since the 1700’s.”
“Volcanoes and August don’t mix,” Kyle said. “Krakatoa erupted on August 26, 1883 killing 36,000. Vesuvius erupted on 24 August, 79 killing 16.000.”
Jael rolled her eyes. “Did you eat an encyclopedia for breakfast? Kyle, don’t worry. It’s only a six month posting. Nothing is going to happen.”

How does my work differ from others of its genre? 
Maybe I kill a few more people, I don't know. My books always contain a strong faith angle. They are all based in the same town, or most of them are, so you always get old friends popping in and out. For example Kyle is the hero of my first ever book, Season For Miracles. The Prime Minister gets assassinated in Tuesday's Child (yeah I really went there)
  

and i so wish i could get the pictures to fit neatly next to each other. Sigh.


Why do I write what I do? 
I love crime and mystery and romance. So this is putting all of them together in what I hope is an action packed thrill ride. I have been known to make myself cry, sleep with the light on, and so on while writing.

How does my writing process work?
It varies. Sometimes the plot comes first. Sometimes a picture inspires a story. Like the picture of Hugh Jackman in a truck inspired Violets in February. See what I mean?

August came from a conversation with my editor who said she's always wanted to read a love story set on an island with an erupting volcano...
But I digress.
I have a cast list - I trawl the net picking actors  to play each character. I then pull out my card index and list the characters full name, age, job, likes, dislikes, allergies if any, family members, best friend. Some of this may never be needed. But hey, when I wrote Season for Miracles and wrote down Kyle's sisters name - who doesn't get a mention in the whole book, I didn't know I'd one day need it. I then come up with a basic 700 word layout for a contracted book, or if I'm just writing because, I literally set off and see what happens.

Comments

LoRee Peery said…
Clare, your writing thrills me each time. Thanks for telling readers, and fellow authors like me,about your writing process.

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Author - Delia Latham.

As part of her blog tour today we welcome author Delia Latham. To the commentators of any of the stops on her tour she is offering two (2) $10 gift certificates to White Rose Publishing which will be awarded after the tour. Winners will be drawn from all the comments left at all of the blogs during the 3-week event. The drawing takes place on June 1st. As an added bonus anyone who comments today/on this entry will be entered in a draw to receive a copy of Grace for the Moment by Max Lucado. Down the page is a little about her recent release from White Rose Publishing - Yesterdays Promise . The link will take you straight to it :) Now - an interview :) First off, could you tell us a little about yourself and how long you've been writing. Do you write everyday? How does each session start? How do you proceed? How, where and why does it end? I’m a born-and-bred California girl, recently transplanted to Oklahoma when my husband was medically retired and needed to move out of the area ...

Son of the Mountain King by O.R.Sykora

  Blurb:  When an invasion threatens the land of the Mountain King, the fate of the people rests on the shoulders of young governor Judah. She has sworn to prove herself a skillful leader by protecting her kingdom from foes, but difficulty and danger surround her.   Then Judah’s life is saved by two different men who divide her loyalty. One, a fascinating healer, captures the hearts of Judah and her people. The other, a mysterious shepherd, forces Judah to question what she believes to be true.   When a conspiracy comes to light that could destroy Judah and her kingdom, a single choice might cost her people everything. Will the headstrong leader prove herself—or find herself trapped? Extract:    This was always my favorite part.   At a signal, a few young men stepped forward bearing beautifully ornamented boxes. The wood was intricately carved with mountain settings and animals, with graceful accents of gold and precious stones. The first young ma...

A Stalker To Die For by Katy Eeten

  A Stalker to Die For by Katy Eeten I began writing this book at least ten years ago. But as often happens, I hit a writing roadblock and put the manuscript to the side. At the time, I wasn’t sure how to make the plot more intriguing or how to give the story a satisfying conclusion. Instead, I focused my efforts on writing five different contemporary Christian novels and novellas over the past several years. But something kept drawing me back to this storyline, so I knew I had to finish it. A Stalker to Die For was my first attempt at adding suspense into the mix—and it was easier said than done! But I finally completed it. And thanks to a great editor, this book guides readers through a variety of emotions while walking the line between romance, faith, and a suspenseful thrill or two. See for yourself! Trailer:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8agLq6kpUY Amazon link:   https://www.amazon.com/Stalker-Die-Katy-Eeten-ebook/dp/B0GS7ND8LC/ Social Media Links: Facebook:...