Skip to main content

Bloom and Doom by Beverly Allen



As the co-owner of The Rose in Bloom, Audrey Bloom creates magnificent flower arrangements for brides to be. Though helping to plan a wedding can be stressful, it’s nothing compared to the groom turning up dead. 

A designer of eye-catching bridal bouquets—many of them based on the Victorian meanings behind each flower—Audrey Bloom is used to celebrations that end with happily ever after. In fact, every couple she’s worked with is still together, living in wedded bliss. But her perfect record is about to be broken.

Her childhood friend Jenny Whitney has reeled in the most eligible bachelor in Ramble, Virginia, and she’s hired Audrey to design the bouquet. But before Jenny can walk down the aisle clutching her blend of anemone, scabious, and pussy willow (a floral disaster in Audrey’s mind), the groom is found dead—sprinkled with bits of a bouquet. This is bad for business—not to mention for Jenny, who has become the prime suspect. So Audrey decides to do a little digging herself, hoping she won’t be the next Ramble resident pushing up daisies…

Bio: 
Beverly Allen (aka Barbara Early) holds a degree in engineering, but her creative streak caused her to run screaming from the pocket-protector set. She enjoys cooking, crafts, gardening, home-improvement projects, board games, and spending time with her husband, daughter, and four naughty but adorable cats.

Buy links:



Character Interview: Audrey Bloom

Tell us your name and a little bit about yourself?

Hi, I'm Audrey Bloom, and I'm a floral designer. I specialize in creating bridal bouquets (and other wedding flowers) using the old language of flowers. I enjoy using flowers specifically chosen because their meanings relate to the bride's personality or relationship with her future spouse. Maybe there's something magical in that, because I just learned that all of the brides who have carried one of my bouquets down the aisle are still together with their grooms!

Tell us about where you live and why you choose to live there?

I live in the small town of Ramble, Virginia. It's a cozy little town, and I have fond memories of spending my childhood summers in the area with my dear Grandma Mae and my cousin Liv. After Grandma Mae passed, Liv and I used the money she left us to put a down payment on the small shop right on Main Street. We called it Rose in Bloom, since she's Olivia Rose and I'm Audrey Bloom...but I guess I already said that.

What is a quirk of your personality that most people wouldn't know?

That they wouldn't know? Hmm. They might not know that I love old movies, especially musicals. I sing the songs when I'm in the shower. Well, my neighbor actually does know that, since he's constantly pounding on the walls. And I have a crush on Cary Grant.

Name two things you would hate people to know about you?

Like any woman, I guess my weight. I'm not exactly obese, but I'm not part of the health club set with all that sweating and juicing either.

And the second thing I'd hate people to know is probably why I switched careers and became a wedding florist. Liv knows, and I'm sure it's going to come out eventually, but...

Tell us about your special bloke. What makes him special? 

Well, nobody right now. I just went through a nasty breakup with Brad--aka Brad the Cad. The thing that makes him special to me right now is just how good his face looks on my dartboard.

But I did just meet this guy. His name is Nick and he just opened up a new bakery in town.

The first time you saw him, what did you think? Did you like him immediately, or did he have to grow on you?

When I met Brad? Oh, I thought it was love at first sight. Enough to slap that silly notion right out of my head.

Or did you mean Nick? When I first saw him, for some reason--maybe because he was dressed all in white in his bakers' clothes--I thought of the moonflower, which means, "I only dream of love." But I'm really not sure I'm ready for another relationship right now.

And now some silly questions.

Pepsi or coke

Pepsi

tea or coffee

Coffee

elephant or tiger

Elephant

roast dinner or burger and chips (fries for our US readers)

yes, please!

classical music or pop

broadway showtunes

sunrise or sunset

sunset

walk or run

walk

chocolate or crisps (chips for our US readers)

chocolate

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Author - Delia Latham.

As part of her blog tour today we welcome author Delia Latham. To the commentators of any of the stops on her tour she is offering two (2) $10 gift certificates to White Rose Publishing which will be awarded after the tour. Winners will be drawn from all the comments left at all of the blogs during the 3-week event. The drawing takes place on June 1st. As an added bonus anyone who comments today/on this entry will be entered in a draw to receive a copy of Grace for the Moment by Max Lucado. Down the page is a little about her recent release from White Rose Publishing - Yesterdays Promise . The link will take you straight to it :) Now - an interview :) First off, could you tell us a little about yourself and how long you've been writing. Do you write everyday? How does each session start? How do you proceed? How, where and why does it end? I’m a born-and-bred California girl, recently transplanted to Oklahoma when my husband was medically retired and needed to move out of the area ...

A Stalker To Die For by Katy Eeten

  A Stalker to Die For by Katy Eeten I began writing this book at least ten years ago. But as often happens, I hit a writing roadblock and put the manuscript to the side. At the time, I wasn’t sure how to make the plot more intriguing or how to give the story a satisfying conclusion. Instead, I focused my efforts on writing five different contemporary Christian novels and novellas over the past several years. But something kept drawing me back to this storyline, so I knew I had to finish it. A Stalker to Die For was my first attempt at adding suspense into the mix—and it was easier said than done! But I finally completed it. And thanks to a great editor, this book guides readers through a variety of emotions while walking the line between romance, faith, and a suspenseful thrill or two. See for yourself! Trailer:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8agLq6kpUY Amazon link:   https://www.amazon.com/Stalker-Die-Katy-Eeten-ebook/dp/B0GS7ND8LC/ Social Media Links: Facebook:...

Rhonda Parrish Interview

Today’s and tomorrow's guest is Rhonda Parrish, author of Sister Margaret. Today I'm putting her under the spotlight and interrogating her, uh asking her questions. Tomorrow I turn the blog over to her completely. Review of Sister Margaret. Sister Margaret is a short story about a vampire hunter and a half-incubus swordsman who are hired by a priestess to take care of an undead pimp. It’s written from the POV of Michael, who has never forgiven himself for abandoning his friend when they were younger. Determined to use this mission to put things right and make it up to her, Michael sets off, only to find things aren’t what they appeared to be. The book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. It was fast paced from the start and its twists and turns make for gripping reading. The descriptions meant I had vivid images in my mind throughout the book. At just over 4000 words, Rhonda wastes none of them, throwing you straight into the story and leaving you breathless at the en...