Skip to main content

Guest author - Dana Sudboro

Today we also have Dana Sudboro, author of Continents Apart


blurb

Odette Peterson has a clear understanding of where the Lord wants her, and that's in the African missionary field. When she meets veteran missionary, Xavier Sand, she embraces their budding relationship. He's everything she's wanted in a man: Christian, kind, and a man who's dedicated his life to ministry. But when he insists she put aside her evangelization efforts and join him in Japan, she finds she must let Xavier go.

Xavier cannot understand why Odette stubbornly clings to the idea that God wants her in Africa. Missionary, yes, but she can do missionary work anywhere. After all, he does. Despite all his efforts to convince her to change her conviction, she refuses and Xavier finds himself floundering for significance in his life.

Across three continents, and with others vying for their hearts, Odette and Xavier must learn to trust that God knows what's best for their futures...even if that means they will never be together.

review:

Odette and Xavier’s growing love and desire to be together is dwarfed only by their love for God and desire to be faithful to His calling to the mission field—on opposite sides of the world. It seems an impossible and insurmountable situation.

“Ever since the storm had grounded planes at O’Hare, he could feel circumstances conspiring to thrust Odette and him together. Coincidence? Fate? Kismet? Hardly. Xavier grinned as he mounted the porch steps and opened the screen door. Who am I to struggle against God?”

This powerful, heart-wrenching story by Dana Sudboro, is brilliantly written and brings Odette and Xavier to life in startling clarity, leaving them in your mind long after the last page is turned. Living on God’s timing isn’t easy and isn’t much covered in books. Saying ‘Lord, I can wait’ is one thing, actually doing the it is something else all together. Odette and Xavier’s faith never wavers as they wait, even if their patience does.

A God centred, Christian fiction novel that isn’t afraid to tackle issues that Christians face every day. Well worth reading.



Interview:

CR. How did you come up with your premise? Is there a story behind your book? How did the story evolve?

DS As I ministered to the Fulani people in West Africa, I became burdened to pray for the Tuareg, whom no missions targeted. So I invented a heroine be a pioneer.

CR. For those who are not familiar with this story, would you please give us the blurb?

DS. Odette, missionary nurse to the Tuareg, is swept off her feet by Xavier, stationed in Japan. How can they move toward each other and remain true to their call?

CR Are there any fun tid-bits about this story you can share with us?

DS. Xavier’s first email to Odette:

Odette,
Join me for a day of kayaking, kibitzing, and kebobing.
Sausalito, Saturday, say yes.
Otherwise, I’ll have to return to Illinois without seeing you.
Waiting to exhale,
Xavier.

CR How did you decide on the setting?

DS. I went to UC Berkeley and live east of Sacramento, so I split the difference and put Odette’s home base at UC Davis.

CR -Where were you born?

DS. Born premature in Marlette, Michigan. The hospital had to borrow an incubator from a neighbouring town to keep me alive. That was back in 1941.

CR. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

DS. Napa Valley among the vineyards nestled between the foothills.

CR- What’s your favourite colour?

DS - Green, every shade of forest trails and burgeoning leaves.

CR - What music groups/artists blast from your CD player while you write?

DS - I write in silence to better concentrate, but relax with soft jazz piano. Marcus Roberts is a favourite.

CR - What are you most passionate about, other than writing?

DS - Creation science.

CR - Name some of your most favourite things.

DS - Camembert cheese on a slice of French baguette.

CR - What advice would you give a new writer just starting out?

DS - Network. We need the advice and encouragement of other writers in order to develop our craft and market its product.

CR - Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? Yes. If so, what do you do about it?

I do one of the Pocket Muse exercises, mind map, take a walk.

CR - Who is your favourite author and why?

DS - John Eldredge, author of The Sacred Romance. He helps me recognize the passion God puts in my heart and trust where Jesus takes it.

CR -. What books or authors have most influenced your own writing?

DS -Jude Deveraux. She keeps me laughing and continually amazed at her word-crafting and fun characters. And Grace Livingston Hill—her insight into true integrity and its counterfeit, both modelled in her characters.

CR - What was the hardest part of writing a book?

DS -Coming up with the premise. I discard several after writing a chapter or two, before I find one that works.

CR - What is your strangest habit?

DS- Pushing the hair back on my bald head. Totally subconscious until a student imitated me in a play. Though I laughed myself silly watching the caricature, I still do it.

CR. What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?

DS. African sauce of tomato, ground peanuts, okra, chicken, and fish, served over a millet-mush pancake called “sagabo.”

CR. What is your favourite animal?

DS. Cats—the more snooty and independent, the better.

CR - Have you ever cried during a movie?

DS - Tears and happy endings go together. If I don’t cry, the movie was a waste of money.

CR - What is your favourite pizza?

DS - Papa Murphy’s double-crust Chicago style.

Comments

Mary Manners said…
Wow, Dana...you are truly gifted. I wouldn't even know where to begin to write a story like you have. Great job and God bless.
Marianne Evans said…
I have such a fondness for mission-centered fiction! Can't wait to read this one, Dana!! God bless, and great interview!
Cheryl said…
This sounds great. I've been reading a few mission-centered stories lately. This looks like it would be a good addition to my wish list.

Cheryl
Dina Preuss said…
This story sounds delightful. I can’t wait to read it! I enjoyed the interview as well. Dana, you are an interesting man indeed.

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Author - Delia Latham.

As part of her blog tour today we welcome author Delia Latham. To the commentators of any of the stops on her tour she is offering two (2) $10 gift certificates to White Rose Publishing which will be awarded after the tour. Winners will be drawn from all the comments left at all of the blogs during the 3-week event. The drawing takes place on June 1st. As an added bonus anyone who comments today/on this entry will be entered in a draw to receive a copy of Grace for the Moment by Max Lucado. Down the page is a little about her recent release from White Rose Publishing - Yesterdays Promise . The link will take you straight to it :) Now - an interview :) First off, could you tell us a little about yourself and how long you've been writing. Do you write everyday? How does each session start? How do you proceed? How, where and why does it end? I’m a born-and-bred California girl, recently transplanted to Oklahoma when my husband was medically retired and needed to move out of the area ...

Son of the Mountain King by O.R.Sykora

  Blurb:  When an invasion threatens the land of the Mountain King, the fate of the people rests on the shoulders of young governor Judah. She has sworn to prove herself a skillful leader by protecting her kingdom from foes, but difficulty and danger surround her.   Then Judah’s life is saved by two different men who divide her loyalty. One, a fascinating healer, captures the hearts of Judah and her people. The other, a mysterious shepherd, forces Judah to question what she believes to be true.   When a conspiracy comes to light that could destroy Judah and her kingdom, a single choice might cost her people everything. Will the headstrong leader prove herself—or find herself trapped? Extract:    This was always my favorite part.   At a signal, a few young men stepped forward bearing beautifully ornamented boxes. The wood was intricately carved with mountain settings and animals, with graceful accents of gold and precious stones. The first young ma...

A Stalker To Die For by Katy Eeten

  A Stalker to Die For by Katy Eeten I began writing this book at least ten years ago. But as often happens, I hit a writing roadblock and put the manuscript to the side. At the time, I wasn’t sure how to make the plot more intriguing or how to give the story a satisfying conclusion. Instead, I focused my efforts on writing five different contemporary Christian novels and novellas over the past several years. But something kept drawing me back to this storyline, so I knew I had to finish it. A Stalker to Die For was my first attempt at adding suspense into the mix—and it was easier said than done! But I finally completed it. And thanks to a great editor, this book guides readers through a variety of emotions while walking the line between romance, faith, and a suspenseful thrill or two. See for yourself! Trailer:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8agLq6kpUY Amazon link:   https://www.amazon.com/Stalker-Die-Katy-Eeten-ebook/dp/B0GS7ND8LC/ Social Media Links: Facebook:...