Skip to main content

Bad Words

No, not the ones the kids say to annoy you or the ones that slip out when you're angry or you drop the dining table on your foot. The kind that we use every day but editors don't like. I asked my editor for a list of ones to edit out of Sky and she very kindly sent me the following. Oops - an ly word slipped in there. See - its so easy to do and so hard to avoid.

Look - not evey other line - my 70 page short story had 500 of these
Nod - see above!
a bit
a little
a lot
actually
almost
although
could
feel/feeling/felt
going to
had
have
hear/heard
in order to
it
just
knew
know
look
ly adverbs
maybe
notice
observe
often
really
see/saw - no no, playing on the see saw in the park is still fine ;-)
smell/taste
some
still
that
then
there
though
usually
very
was/were
watch

Oh so many and so hard to avoid. My hero can no longer run quickly to his car, he has to speed or bolt or zoom. And as for hugging Miss Heroine tightly... ummm he hugs her until she can no longer breathe, faints and has to be revived with some mouth to mouth :D

Comments

Anonymous said…
Clare, that last little example you used tells me WHY editors don't want the "ly" words. Wow - what a picture your last sentence brought to mind! lol FAR better than "he held her tightly."
Grace Brooks said…
Looks like your editor is asking for show don't tell which translate to more action.
Kaye Manro said…
Great list! And it's so good your editor pointed it out to you. I've been hit too. My editor counted every was and had in my story! And I thought I was doing so well as I don't usually use was and had often. Seems like even a few is too much for some editors!
Donna B said…
Seemed, or seems is another one that can usually be replaced to make things more active. But don't think every -ing or -ly word has to be eradicated, just use them wisely.

Great list though!

May your writing be as lively and cunning as you can make it.
Catherine Bybee said…
Awesome list. There are a few in there I never considered 'Bad Words'. lol

Popular posts from this blog

A Stalker To Die For by Katy Eeten

  A Stalker to Die For by Katy Eeten I began writing this book at least ten years ago. But as often happens, I hit a writing roadblock and put the manuscript to the side. At the time, I wasn’t sure how to make the plot more intriguing or how to give the story a satisfying conclusion. Instead, I focused my efforts on writing five different contemporary Christian novels and novellas over the past several years. But something kept drawing me back to this storyline, so I knew I had to finish it. A Stalker to Die For was my first attempt at adding suspense into the mix—and it was easier said than done! But I finally completed it. And thanks to a great editor, this book guides readers through a variety of emotions while walking the line between romance, faith, and a suspenseful thrill or two. See for yourself! Trailer:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8agLq6kpUY Amazon link:   https://www.amazon.com/Stalker-Die-Katy-Eeten-ebook/dp/B0GS7ND8LC/ Social Media Links: Facebook:...

Son of the Mountain King by O.R.Sykora

  Blurb:  When an invasion threatens the land of the Mountain King, the fate of the people rests on the shoulders of young governor Judah. She has sworn to prove herself a skillful leader by protecting her kingdom from foes, but difficulty and danger surround her.   Then Judah’s life is saved by two different men who divide her loyalty. One, a fascinating healer, captures the hearts of Judah and her people. The other, a mysterious shepherd, forces Judah to question what she believes to be true.   When a conspiracy comes to light that could destroy Judah and her kingdom, a single choice might cost her people everything. Will the headstrong leader prove herself—or find herself trapped? Extract:    This was always my favorite part.   At a signal, a few young men stepped forward bearing beautifully ornamented boxes. The wood was intricately carved with mountain settings and animals, with graceful accents of gold and precious stones. The first young ma...

Guest Author - Delia Latham.

As part of her blog tour today we welcome author Delia Latham. To the commentators of any of the stops on her tour she is offering two (2) $10 gift certificates to White Rose Publishing which will be awarded after the tour. Winners will be drawn from all the comments left at all of the blogs during the 3-week event. The drawing takes place on June 1st. As an added bonus anyone who comments today/on this entry will be entered in a draw to receive a copy of Grace for the Moment by Max Lucado. Down the page is a little about her recent release from White Rose Publishing - Yesterdays Promise . The link will take you straight to it :) Now - an interview :) First off, could you tell us a little about yourself and how long you've been writing. Do you write everyday? How does each session start? How do you proceed? How, where and why does it end? I’m a born-and-bred California girl, recently transplanted to Oklahoma when my husband was medically retired and needed to move out of the area ...